Make this huge chicken casserole, then freeze half to enjoy another day. It makes a great midweek meal that's also healthy and hearty during these winter months.
COOKING TIME: 1 hour 30 minutes
SERVES: 8 people
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
2 tbsp olive oil
12 chicken thighs, halved
200g smoked bacon, cut into lardons
300g shallots, peeled and trimmed
3 celery sticks, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
30g plain flour
200ml dry white wine
500g baby potatoes, halved if large
800ml chicken stock
2 tbsp dijon mustard
3 tbsp crème fraîche
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
HOW TO MAKE
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken and brown for 5 minutes on each side until golden all over. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the lardons to the pan and fry until crisp. Transfer to the bowl with the chicken.
- Add the shallots, celery and garlic to the pan, fry for a few minutes, then stir in the flour with plenty of salt and pepper. Stir in the wine until the sauce is smooth, then add the potatoes, stock and mustard.
- Transfer to your casserole dish then put into the oven for 45 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove the lid and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, then stir in the crème fraîche and tarragon. Adjust the seasoning and serve sprinkled with the remaining tarragon and cracked black pepper.