ROASTED PLUM TOMATO & BASIL SOUP
The best homemade roasted tomato basil soup made with fresh tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and caramelised onions. This easy tomato basil soup recipe is full of flavour and is best served with a toasted sourdough loaf.
COOKING TIME: 1 hour 25 minutes
SERVES: 4 people
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
1-1.5kg fresh plum tomatoes, halved
4 garlic cloves
2 onions, thinly sliced
1200ml vegetable stock
HOW TO MAKE
- Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Place halved tomatoes on a baking tray and garlic cloves on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Generously season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to a large pot and place over medium heat. Slice the onions, add to the pan and stir to coat the onions with olive oil. Check onions every 5-10 minutes until they have completely caramelized and turned golden in color. This usually takes around 15-20 minutes.
- Once your tomatoes and garlic have roasted, allow them to cool for 10 minutes then add them to a food processor or high powered blender and blend until smooth. Next add basil and the caramelised onions and blend again.
- After blending, transfer back to pot, turn to medium heat and add in the vegetable stock along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow tomato soup to simmer 10 minutes before serving.